Sunday, April 13, 2014

Who are you when you talk?

How many words do we say that are truly our own? I find myself saying whole paragraphs that are a collage of someone else's. Movie quotes and songs peppered with opinions of teachers and idioms from parents, one-liners from books and funny Facebook posts. But at the same time, aren't all words just borrowed, recycled things? Whether phrases that you say every three sentences or deep thoughts expressed by poets philosophers and prophets. I think all originality in word-making-speaking comes from the organization of words but I find it interesting that as humans, we tend to borrow others. Think about it when you talk- who am I really speaking as? Who did I pick this up from? Most of my expressions come from movies and my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment