Sunday, April 13, 2014

Liberal? No you are dumb

I have been told multiple times that I am liberal. If that means that I don't just agree with someones political views because they are Mormon and talk loud, or if something is hailed as conservative or Republican, than I guess I am. Frankly people that have labeled me that way I see as wholly uneducated on the subject because I am totally not. When it comes down to it, I am more of a centrist than anything else. I am a feminist in that I believe that woman are just as capable as men, if not more and that we are not subservient to them simply because of our gender, but that we are equal and should be treated as such- as human beings, not objects that need to be organized and controlled. So ya, I consider myself a feminist, but a super lame kind- one that firmly intends to be a wife and a stay-at-home-mother. I enjoy reading liberal columnists because they make a lot of sense about things, but I am not in favor of gay marriage, I am pro-choice (because who is anti choice? Satan. But I am firmly against abortion. Adoption people) and I am inclined to less welfare and less taxes. I think the more accurate description of my political personality is that I am my fathers daughter and I enjoy playing devil's advocate. I demand that people prove their point to me and explain their reasoning and usually do so by being on the opposite side. I think people, and Mormons my age in particular, just vomit up what their parents who only watch Glenn Beck think (This isn't a slam on Glenn Beck, the danger is that its their ONLY source of political perspective). Because of that dangerous Single Story (look up the TED talk, its wonderful) I tend to discredit them because I know more about the issue than they do, and most of the time from both sides- therefore I am liberal. What an insult to conservatives, that those who are educated and well-informed are liberal. I doubt that is true for the professional circles but it my small realm, it definitely is.

No comments:

Post a Comment