Monday, January 20, 2014

Castles,Coasters, Losing Ones Self and Adventure as a Whole

Today is MLK day! Happy day celebrating a wonderful man who gave really good speeches and united people. But, let’s be honest, really the reason everyone likes milk day is that we don't have school! I, of course, did the appropriate thing last night and stayed up till 3:30 watching Bones and How I Met Your Mother. This morning I got up on time though and helped clean the house and then went to Castles and Coasters with Stacie and Sabra and lots of other people and it was great fun. First of all, I haven't ridden a roller coaster since I was like 12 but they had never bothered me. Today was the first time that I was like "So that’s what the expression 'having your throat in your mouth means'" and life made a lot more sense. It was great though, the rides were still really fun but I did have a fabulous headache to accompany them. Probably because I stayed up so late. Anyway, on the way there I had Sabra and her trusty iPhone to tell me where to go but I left early because I had to get home for dinner and FHE. Castles and Coasters are on the other side of Phoenix in a really ghetto area and with the iPhone, it took about 40 min to get there. Well because I was leaving early and by myself I had no iPhone to guide me. I got the general idea before I left but then I was on my own. Of course I timed it just so that I got the brunt end of rush hour traffic and a car crash that reduced the freeway to one lane. And of course I missed my exit to get on the I-10. So I was alone, in the worst part of Phoenix, needing to get on the complete other side of town. So I just went were I recognized street names- namely 7th. So I went right through downtown Phoenix to the other freeway (no, I have no idea what it was) and then saw the exit for Sky Harbor. I drove through the airport and when I got to the other side, there it was- the exit for the 202. And there was much rejoicing. You have to understand though, I was giggling with nervous giddiness from the time I missed my exit to about the time I got home. I was completely lost, and I was having an adventure. I realized that I love getting lost, not if I don't have anything to lose. I remember once talking to a friend of mine and saying that he didn't strike me as the kind of person to get lost and he thanked me as if it was a complement and I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was kind of insulting him. I have no fear of getting lost but I am fully aware and open to the possibility. For me, it’s just an adventure waiting to happen. I want to get lost. I don’t know if I have ever felt as free as today, driving with the music blasting, completely and totally lost. And in the end I learned stuff. Today was the first time I had to navigate through really crazy traffic, I had to find my way through downtown Phoenix and now I have a better vision of how it’s all laid out. 

So I really like getting lost. I could not stop laughing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment