Sunday, November 24, 2013

my essay: pre-hacking

When I was little, I was never in trouble for staying up late playing with toys or messing with my room- I got in trouble for staying up reading.  I read everything and read it fast but I read for fun- the first classic I ever read was Huckleberry Finn in 5th grade and I hated it. There was no action! No love story! Just a boy and an old man on a raft! From then on I only read classics in school. Then in 9th grade I read Jane Eyre. At first I thought it was boring but I forced myself to continue and then the story intrigued me. There was action; a mad wife locked in a tower, and a love story; the relatable Jane and the brooding Mr. Rochester- it had all the elements that my fast reading had, plus more. Jane Eyre became my favorite book. I loved that when I reread it I understood more and was able to pull apart the elements of the story. I continued to read classics for school and I grew increasingly fond of the language and metaphors which I originally thought was difficultly but in reality was the best part of novel. Then when I was a Junior I picked up Anna Karenina. I started, expecting it to be like the other classics- forced at first but then interesting once the story developed. Tolstoy was completely different- from the beginning I couldn’t put it down. Overnight my attitude toward classic literature changed. I couldn’t even bring myself to read the same fast-paced page turners I had read before. My junior year I took the AP Language Test and got a f our. Then when I took the ACT and got a 34 on the reading portion I knew what I wanted to do in college and more importantly, I couldn’t wait to do so. I am so excited when I think about how I could study something I am so passionate about.

No comments:

Post a Comment