Monday, January 31, 2011

My Poems

I like writing poetry, and take it or leave it be I don't think they are that bad ( if I do say so myself :) These were all English assignments.

Arizona
By Holly Castleton

Vivid colors of the sunrise
A new day
Welcome
Light kissing the roof tops
Clouds turn pink

Sweet rain
Long awaited storm
Everyone fidgets
A break from the heat

Chatter of the birds
Cool mountains
City bustle
Far behind
Birds and the sounds of nature
Replace it

Tough, spiny resilient cactus
Survived for decades
Sweltering heat
Still here
Tall and proud as ever

Ice cold, rich, creamy, ice cream            
Only to be enjoyed in the heat
You’re cold
Everything else bakes

Arizona
Your first thought?
Dead desert with the occasional cactus of cowboy
No, open eyes
See, smell, taste, touch, hear
Arizona
But so much more  
Rapunzel
Once there was a girl locked in a tower,
Rapunzel was her name and she wasn’t one to cower.
She had very long hair which got quite itchy,
And a mother that was kind but a little witchy.
When I say she had long hair, that’s an understatement, a bit.
It was over 60 feet long and it was hard for her to sit.
 “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your long hair”
 The witchy mother would cry to get up there.
Rapunzel would let her hair cascade down,
And her mother would climb up that river of brown.
One day a silly sovereign came and heard the mother cry,
“Rapunzel, let down your hair” and he started to sigh,
You see the silly sovereign thought,
“That girl might be pretty and for some reason girls want to marry me not.
I will try and sounds like the prince that I am,
And maybe she will think I am a ham”
So he said in the best princely voice he could muster,
“Hey! You girl! Lift me up, buster!”
Then Rapunzel popped her pretty face out the window,
She cried “You silly sovereign! You bimbo!
Like heck I am going to lift you up here!
And don’t even think about trying to leer!
Now shove off, leave, skedaddle!
Or else I will come down and beat you with a paddle!”
You see that smart Rapunzel knew not just to fall for the first prince that comes along,
She knew to wait for just the right song.
And in the end it all paid off,
For one day she met a prince that was charming, sweet and buff.
He cried nice things instead of being rude,
Like, “Fair lady, Rapunzel, I am not trying to intrude”
And of course they married and lived happily ever after,
At least until they had kids, which is a whole ‘nother chapter!
                                                                                                                                   
contentment
contentedness is the color of the sky
right before the sun rises

it tastes like
sweet mint gum

it smells like
freshly cut grass

and is not wanting
of needing
anything
true happiness

it sounds like
the giggle of the stream
fresh  
                                                          
Hope
By Holly Castleton
I begin with the sunrise,
a new beginning,
a blank canvas.
I take the fallen heads and tearstained faces and lift them up.
Pessimism is my enemy,
but it’s your choice who wins.
Do not confuse me with my relative, expectation.
We are not the same.
I change the world, one child at a time.
I finish the day with the anticipation of the next.


No comments:

Post a Comment