Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Kite Runner



So I finished. It made me sick, it made me cry but what an incredible story. My views of Afghanistan have completely changed, mostly because up to this point I didn't have a view and was completely ignorant. The relationships between Amir and Hassan, Baba and Amir, Amir to Sohrab, have so much to offer. The forgiveness, the loyalty, the lies and deception, the love, the fear, the healing- I have never read a more powerful story. I felt drained when I finished, its the type of book that takes I lot out of you. For having such horrendous accounts of the actions of humans, the message of hope is still a prominent theme. It made me think of how blessed I have been to simply be born where I was born and how stable our county is and how very thankful I am for that.
Quotes:
“When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness.
“I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded; not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.
“Time can be a greedy thing-sometimes it steals the details for itself.”
“It's wrong what they say about the past, I've learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out."
“Quiet is peace. Tranquility. Quiet is turning down the volume knob on life. Silence is pushing the off button. Shutting it down. All of it"

Chowmein,
A-somber-at-remembering-this-book-but-overall-content
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment