Monday, May 7, 2012

The Power of a Phrase....and other thoughts

This weekend has been crazy. On Thursday I had a Choir concert and that was tons of fun but it was the LONGEST CONCERT EVER. Each choir had 5 songs, plus awards for each choir and flowers for all the seniors. I went to bed at 11 and still had my 6:45 class then next morning. On Friday Shelby and I tried to tan (tried being the key word here) and I mowed the lawn and babysat the children while mom and dad went on a date. At 8 people came over and we went swimming and played ping pong. It was a ton of fun but it was 11 when I kicked the last few people out and then I went inside and Dad was watching the Bourne Ultimatum and so I HAD to finish that with him and went to bed at like 12:30. Saturday morning I had to get up and go to the stake center and teach 8th graders water purification, water safety, and environmental awareness for 3 hours. Then I went to Sarah Hunt's (Shelby's older sister) bridal shower, then went to a ward woman's conference with my mom and sister. They had a speaker there that taught a really cool lesson. I was pleasantly surprised because honestly the woman looked plastic.  She had to poignant points: The power of the phrases I AM and THAT'S GREAT. First of all, the phrase I AM with the succeeding words. I am tired. I am fine. etc. She talked about how when you say I AM.... the synapses in your brain come together and it effects your overall character. So one thing to do is to say "I am.." and then do it, for instance, you want to be better organized so you put your papers in your folder and say "I am organized". Then you put your binder in your backpack and say "I am organized". Then you put your backpack by the door and say "I am organized" See? So I am going to try and be more cautious about what I define myself as and instead define myself with positive things. Secondly the phrase That's great. Her idea was that every time something bad happens, instead of swaring or feeling sorry for yourself of getting angry, saying that's great. You get hit by a car, you are having a bad day, whatever, if you say its something positive that it will be because you are looking for the positive! I think that its a super good idea :)
After the conference Shelby and I went to pull up weeds at a house for my dad which of course was incredibly amazing in every way haha. Anyway after that we got Jamba Juice, went swimming (kinda), took showers that watched Top Gun (edited by David Hunt ;)

Top Gun (Widescreen Special Collector's Edition)

Call Me MaybeMaking MirrorsWhat Makes You BeautifulSo GoodBoyfriendGive Your Heart a Break - Single



No comments:

Post a Comment